Despite the fact that Stones and Otamendi were ever-present during City's 2017-18 title success, Guardiola has opted to shift Fernandinho back into the defence while he waits for a key performer to return.
Guardiola recently revealed the Frenchman would be out for "two or three months" but, when asked about his recovery from injury is going, Laporte was feeling more optimistic of an earlier comeback.
His performances have been impressing a number of people, according to El Desmarque, and one of them would be Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola... it's a story which will never die. Right now, yes [I prefer him as a defender]'.
City, who drew 2-2 at Newcastle United on Saturday, have also received a boost following the news left-back Oleksandr Zinchenko, who is primarily a midfielder, has returned to training. Yet Guardiola has no intention of moving the 34-year-old back into his preferred role.
"It is always hard for all teams [at Burnley]".
"We will then decide what we have to do or what is best for the club for the next season".
He said: "I'm not thinking about how many games we have to win". What they do they do perfectly.
"Rebuilding the team is when you have seven or eight, like we did in the second season when seven players finished their contracts".
Silva has already said he will leave the club this summer.
City snatched a 1-0 win at Burnley last season through a Sergio Aguero goal as part of their stunning late run to pip Liverpool to the title. 'We are not good enough, ' he said.
Jurgen Klopp's men have only dropped two points so far this term to establish their dominant position, but Guardiola rejected the suggestion that belief is fading among his own squad ahead of a Tuesday trip to Burnley that precedes the Manchester derby.
"Now that [Ashley] Barnes isn't playing it gives them a little bit more of a relief, especially with Rodri sitting in front of the defence, given them that extra safety net as they say, and Bernardo Silva back in who is very important for them".